Now we all know that my stomach churns at the thought of The Orange Man stammering his way through another speech. But tonight, in pursuit of the truth, I sat through the one hour and twenty minutes of hand gestures and lip pursing to watch our (whether we like it or not) President deliver his first State of the Union Address. Fully expecting him to go off script and tout the ‘American Carnage’ left from the Obama years and pat himself on the back to take credit for everything good that has happened for the last ten years, all while Tweeting to the public. But to my surprise, he remained loyal to the teleprompter and for the first time took on the role of the President.
I know, I know…pick your jaws up off the ground and hear me out. Now, I am going to skip over the falsehoods presented by Trump. That would just be rehashing my previous post. Instead, let’s focus on The Rest of the Story.
1. The main issue tonight was Trump avoiding the white elephant in the room. Robert Mueller’s probe into Russia meddling into the 2016 election and if Donald Trump had tried to obstruct the investigation. I have to give Trump’s writing team credit on this one. For me, this is not a State of the Union issue. Instead, it is a state of Trump issue, a legality issue, and a political issue that is best discussed in the court room.
2. Can we really expect world peace by building more nuclear weapons? Unless, you are planning on taking over the world.
3. Every Democrat in the room acted like spoiled little brats that I just wanted to place over my knees and give them a gook spanking. Again, not a State of the Union issue, but to watch the leaders of our country huddled up on their side of the playground brooding because they didn’t get their way was revolting. Shame on you people.
4. Those Democrat women wearing black. They say it was in solidarity to the #metoo movement but was really an outcry to remind people that Trump has been accused for sexual misconduct. OK, I get it and support it. But I have to question if there truly is a difference between that and a football player kneeling during the National Anthem? I believe they said it was to show signs of solidarity to their brothers who faced police brutality.
5. His call to action on the ‘Immigration’ bill or as we all know it, the ‘You give me a wall and I will give you citizenship for Dreamers’ bill. If there is anybody in this country besides Trump who thinks this wall will be a good thing, ask the people of Berlin. 25 Billion a year for a giant billboard for Trump to put his name on. Hey, maybe we could get Trump’s corporate friends to pay for advertising. Has anybody figured out how many ads could be placed on it. Don’t forget the Mexican side.
6. Another call to action on his Infrastructure bill. 1.5 Trillion dollars. And just like the wall, no plan as to how to pay for it. At least he didn’t say that Mexico would help pay for this one. Maybe Russia???
7. The big test will be…how long can Trump go without tweeting about fake news?
So it boils down to this. I believe Trump has found out that he can’t just wave his hands in the air and stuff just magically happens. He is finally realizing that he can’t get anything done without Democratic support. That might be wishful thinking on my part but one thing is for sure, it will be a long, hard road ahead for the Trump administration. Trump already faces a low approval rating and the 2018 elections may lose him a few more votes. It will be interesting to see how a congress that can’t manage to keep itself running can do all the things Trump has promised. As I was debating with my good friend and adversary the other day, only history will prove who will be the winners and who will be the losers.