Dad Joke of the Day: What did the alien say to the pitcher of water? Take me to your liter.
Quote of the Day: The three best healers are nature, time and patience.
Today in History:
– The Vietnam Veterans Memorial, designed by Maya Lin, was dedicated in Washington, D.C.
–Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Del Shannon, Curtis Mayfield, Dusty Springfield, Billy Joel, the Staple Singers, Charles Brown, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys as well as producer George Martin were named as the 1999 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
– A tour bus carrying 46 persons skids off a rain-slicked highway near Canterbury, England, and plunges down an embankment, apparently after hitting a van and spinning out of control; 10 persons lose their lives, and more than 35 are injured.
November 9th is National…
• Marine Corps Birthday – The Continental Marines was first established by the Continental Congress on November 10, 1775, leading up to the American Revolution. Two battalions of Marines fought for independence both on land and at sea.
• Forget-Me-Not Day – Created in 1921 to remind Americans of the sacrifices returning soldiers have made of body, blood, and limb.
• Vanilla Cupcake Day – Cupcakes can be traced back to 1796 when a recipe notation for a cake to be baked in small cups was written in American Cookery (by Amelia Simmons). The earliest known documentation of the term cupcake was in 1828 in Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats in Eliza Leslie’s Receipts cookbook. Other popular names for this tasty treat are Fairy cakes or Patty cakes.
Don’t forget my friends that November is also National:
Adopt A Senior Pet Month
Aviation History Month
Banana Pudding Lovers Month
Diabetic Eye Disease Month
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Family Stories Month
Gluten-Free Diet Awareness Month
Historic Bridge Awareness Month
Lung Cancer Awareness Month
MADD’s Tie One On For Safety Holiday Campaign (11/16-12/31)
Military Family Month
National Adoption Month
National Alzheimer’s Disease Month
National COPD Month
National Diabetes Month
National Family Caregivers Month
National Fun with Fondue Month
National Gratitude Month
National Home Care & Hospice Month
National Impotency Month
National Inspirational Role Models Month
National Life Writing Month
The information contained in this post was gleaned from various websites or is available from many public domain sources and in many cases the original author is unknown. I make no claim to ownership or rights.