Dad Joke of the Day: What kind of car does a sheep drive? A Lamborghini, but if that breaks down they drive their SuBAHHru.
Quote of the Day: Remember, 3/4 of the word can’t is can
November 13th in History:
– The Avtomat Kalashnikov was first manufactured in the Soviet Union, becoming the preferred weapon of choice around the world. Of the 500 million plus firearms in the world, over 75 million of them are AK-47’S.
– Great Britain defeats France in the first Rugby League World Cup. Of the 15 tournaments, Australia hold 11 titles.
– The Supreme Court of the United States declared that the Alabama law requiring segregated buses was illegal. Putting an end to the Montgomery Bus Boycott that began on December 5th – 1955 after Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white person.
November 13th is National…
• Sadie Hawkins Day – originated in Al Capp’s cartoon “Lil Abner” when the mayor of Dogpatch was desperate to marry off his daughter. So he created Sadie Hawkins day. The idea was that a race was held where the single boys were given a head start and then chased by the single girls. If the girl could catch a boy, then he had to marry her.
• Indian Pudding Day – English colonist introduced ‘Hasty Pudding’ to America in the 17th century. However, due to a shortage of grain, they substituted the wheat with cornmeal and the water with milk to create Indian pudding. So named because they had learned to grow corn from the indigenous people.
• World Kindness Day – Started in 1998 and has spread to more than 28 countries. There are very few things more infectious than kindness. Studies have proven that when we see an act of kindness we are more likely to do an act of kindness. Each of us has the potential to make someone’s life a little better, all it takes is a smile, a kind word or even a little patience. All of which we possess an unlimited supply of and are free to give away.
The information contained in this post was gleaned from various websites or is available from many public domain sources and in many cases the original author is unknown. I make no claim to ownership or rights.